It's time for the 52 Cook Books Challenge again and this time I asked Jack to pick me a book from the cookbook cupboard in his bedroom. I was hopeful for another baking book but was slightly disappointed by his very unseasonal choice of 50 Best Ever Barbecues by Christine France.
Apart from lots of lovely marinated barbecued meat there are also a few desserts and veggie dishes, including the one that I chose, Red Bean & Mushroom Burgers. As Hanna pointed out when she saw the finished burgers, they are quite green looking, but if you cast that aside and taste with your mouth and not your eyes then you will discover that these are lovely tasting burgers and everyone loved them.
I'm not sure that I would ever risk cooking them on a bbq though as they are quite fragile, but using a griddle pan was perfect.
Red Bean & Mushroom Burgers - makes 4
tbsp Olive oil
half a red onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
115g mushrooms, finely chopped
400g can of red kidney beans
fresh coriander (or coriander paste)
a little flour
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onion and garlic
- Fry for a couple of minutes until softened
- Add the spices and fry for another minute before adding the mushrooms
- Fry until the mushrooms are softened and dry
- Remove from heat
- Mash the kidney beans with a fork and add to the pan with the coriander & mix well
- Form into burgers, using a little flour on your hands to stop them sticking
- Spray or brush with a little more oil and cook on a hot griddle pan for a few minutes each side