In my 2.5 years living in America some years ago, one of the great things I brought back with me (aside from 2 children) was a recipe for 7 layer magic cookie bars. It was a clipping that I'd saved from a Sunday newspaper, with a coupon for condensed milk. The coupons were always for the expensive brands so I rarely used them, but I kept the recipes all the same. In fact I returned home with a box full of recipe clippings and think I still have them somewhere, despite now being able to Google any recipe that I would ever need.
7 layer magic cookie bars were just that - 7 layers, with the magic being how easy they are to make. There's no mixing or rubbing in or blending involved, unless you include the crushing of the biscuits and chopping of nuts. They are pretty effortless though, and totally moreish, and perfect with an afternoon cuppa right before a lockdown afternoon nap.
As the recipe originates from America, the 'biscuits' (that's a TOTALLY different thing in America) were Graham crackers, which are generally substituted in UK recipes with digestive biscuits. The nuts used are generally walnuts or pecans, but as I'm using peanut butter I'm using peanuts. You could use unsalted, but I like a touch of saltiness to balance out all that sugar!
Peanut Butter Magic Cookie Bars
200g digestive biscuits, crushed
100g SKIPPY Creamy Peanut Butter
397g can of condensed milk
75g dark choc chips
100g salted peanuts
50g desiccated coconut
- Melt the butter and mix with the crushed biscuits
- Pour into a 13" x 9" baking tin or dish, spread out & flatten down a little
- Warm the SKIPPY Peanut Butter in the microwave for around 30-60 seconds and then mix with the condensed milk
- Pour evenly over the biscuits
- Scatter the chocolate chips, salted peanuts and coconut over the top
- Bake in a preheated 170 C oven for approx 25 minutes, or until golden brown
- Allow to cool in the tin before slicing into bars or squares
For an indulgent dessert, serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of warm SKIPPY Creamy peanut butter
Recipe commissioned by SKIPPY Peanut Butter