I've been doing the Paleo diet for 3 weeks now (give or take the odd bit of wine at weekends & a nibble of chocolate here & there) and have so far lost 6lbs, which I'm pretty pleased with. Although I have mostly been eating different meals to the rest of the family I have been trying to make many of the family meals Paleo friendly, and just add pasta, rice or potatoes for everyone else.
After trying a Middle Eastern dish recently I bought some Baharat spice and made a very simple beef dish, slowly roasted in the oven, with a sauce that's naturally thick and needs no flour to thicken. The husband had his with rice but I served mine on some sautéed chard, which a friend with an allotment kindly gave me.
Middle Eastern Beef & Shallots - serves 2/3
450g shallots, peeled
salt & pepper
400g diced beef
2 tsp Baharat spice
2 cloves garlic, crushed
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- Add the whole shallots, drizzle of oil and salt & pepper to an lidded ovenproof casserole dish
- Cook in a preheated 180C oven for 30 minutes
- Remove from the oven and stir in the beef, spice and garlic, stirring well
- Add the tomatoes, mix well and return to the oven
- Lower the temperature to 160C and cook for approx 1.5 hours, until the beef is tender
For tips on owning an allotment please visit my friend's site here.