As we get nearer to the Summer, the days are getting warmer and the evenings are getting longer, and the chime of the ice cream van can be heard (my kids no longer believe me when I tell them that the scrap man has changed his tune). I begrudge forking out an arm and a leg for ice creams from the van when I am in my own home - especially when the kids skip back smugly with a hideous blue lolly in their hands!
Here are two simple ideas to keep smiles on the kids faces, and the money firmly in your pocket!
Choc Ices on a Stick - makes approx 6
Lolly sticks (or coffee stirrers cut to size)
Silicone mould (I used a Dariole mould)
Vanilla ice cream
150g Dr Oetker Fine Cooks' Milk Chocolate
Dr Oetker chocolate beans
- Fill the moulds with the ice cream, compacting it into the mould, and sticking the lolly sticks into the ice cream
- Place in the freezer for a few hours to harden
- Remove the ice creams from the mould and place back in the freezer for 20 minutes
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave on short bursts, stirring regularly, until melted and smooth
- Stir in a little oil to make the consistency a little runnier
- Coat the ice cream with the chocolate and sprinkle a few chocolate beans on the top
- Return to the freezer for at least an hour
Another idea for a frozen treat is to pop a Jaffa Cake Mini Roll onto a stick and place in the freezer for a couple of hours, making a change from the regular way of eating mini rolls!
I received the Mini Rolls and Dr Oetker chocolate as part of the most recent Degustabox.
Contents of the box :
2 x Dr Oetker Fine Cooks' Chocolate
Crabbies alcoholic Raspberry Ginger Beer
2 x Clearspring Miso soup on the go
3 x Lindt Lindor treat bars
Go Splash blackcurrant concentrate
Cawston Press Rhubarb drink
Keogh's Atlantic Sea Salt & Irish Cider Vinegar crisps
2 x Mornflake Muesli & Granola Superfast pots
2 x McVities Jaffa Cake Mini Rolls
I currently have a discount coupon code which gives you a £3.00 discount when registering. The code is: VR4DG
Degustabox are currently running a competition on their Facebook page to win one of their surprise boxes.
You can also follow them on Twitter here
I received the Degustabox free of charge