Salted Caramel Sauce
425g Caster Sugar
284ml Double Cream
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Pinch of Sea Salt
- Add the sugar and water to a pan over a medium heat
- Dissolve the sugar in the water and bring to a gentle simmer
- Simmer until the sugar mixture has turned a light caramel colour *
- Remove from the heat, stir in the butter until melted
- Stir in the cream, vanilla and salt until combined
The sauce thickens once cooled completely.
* be patient and don't be tempted to boil rapidly or you may end up with a pan of crystals *cough*, apparently. If you do then remove from the heat and add a small amount of water and start again.