I looked in the fridge for inspiration - mushrooms way past their best before that needed using up so that ruled out jacket spuds & beans. I then recalled the Biryani that I'd seen on Reluctant Housedad's Recipe Shed earlier in the day - but I had no chicken, except the frozen stuffed chicken breasts - in the house. Ah well, I could add a can of chickpeas & tell the husband that the chicken was chopped up very small & hope that he didn't notice.
Don't Tell The Husband There's No Meat in It Chickpea Biryani
tbsp olive oil
1/2 pack Schwartz bombay potatoes mix
can of chickpeas
couple of big handfuls of basmati ricehandful of sultanas
2 tbsp coconut
If I'd had a banana I would've added that too
Sorry I can't be more specific with the weights & measurements but I don't usually measure unless I'm baking or following a specific recipe.
- Fry the onion in the olive oil for a couple of minutes.
- Add the spice mix and chickpeas and stir
- Add the basmati rice and some boiling water and stir, put the lid on keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn't dry out.
- Stir in the sultanas, coconut and mushrooms
- Add more water, around a cupful at a time, until the rice is tender and water has been absorbed.
Serve with a spoonful of natural yoghurt and some of The Curry Guy's Lime pickle - or if, like me, you haven't got any lime pickle then any pickle or chutney would do (except Branston's, horrible stuff) - like my prizewinning Marrow chutney for example.