300ml double cream
pack of instant custard
3/4 pint milk
6-7 tbsp Lemon curd
300g Madeira cake
juice & zest of half a lemon
- Make the instant custard up with boiling milk rather than boiling water & allow to cool (you can use fresh or tinned custard if you prefer).
- Slice the Maderia cake lengthways into 0.5cm strips, use these strips to line the outside & base of a 20cm loose bottomed or springform cake tin
- Spread 1tbsp of lemon curd over the sponge base
- Mix the cream and cooled custard together.
- Stir in 4tbsp lemon curd, lemon juice & zest
- Pour into ice cream maker* & churn until thick and creamy
- Spoon onto the cake base and raise the edges slightly to form a shallow well in the middle
- Spread 1-2 tbsp of lemon curd into the well (if the ice cream is a bit soft then freeze for 30 minutes before spreading)
- Freeze until ready to eat
- Remove from freezer approx 20 minutes before serving to soften a little.
*If you don't have an ice cream maker then freeze the mixture in a shallow dish and stir well approx every hour until frozen.