It is a cake of sorts, as it does involve sponge, but I thought I would try and make a popular 80's dessert the Arctic Roll. I've made a swiss roll before but have never tried filling it with ice cream so it was a bit of an experiment for me. You may wonder why I would go to the trouble of making something that you can buy in the supermarket for just 99p, and to be honest I wondered the same myself. It really was quite easy to make and now I know how I'm going to be trying it with various flavours too, something that you can't get in the supermarket - well that's actually a lie as Bird's Eye make a chocolate one too!
You will need :
Ice cream -you can make it yourself - I have a recipe for a lovely strawberry ice cream here, you can buy it ready made or, like I did, you can use the ingenious invention of Angel Delight which is their new Ice Cream mix.
Sponge (I resized a BBC Good Food swiss roll recipe)
50g Golden Caster Sugar
50g Self Raising Flour
Jam (you could use bought jam but I had strawberries that needed using up)
275g Strawberries, chopped
50g Golden Caster Sugar
5 tbsp water
Make the ice cream and churn in an ice cream maker. If you're using Angel Delight Ice cream* then you can freeze it in a tube like I did, or if you're using ready made soften it up slightly and make into a roll by wrapping in clingfilm or baking paper and then place in the freezer until the sponge is ready. I added some sliced strawberries to the vanilla ice cream as I added it to the tube. For the tube I rolled a flexible chopping board and taped it in place, which I then filled with the ice cream and placed into the freezer until firm.
When the ice cream is ready make the sponge - or you could just do what I did when I realised that I should've waited until the ice cream was set first - I made another tube the same size as the ice cream tube, laid the warm sponge onto a clean tea towel , laid another one on top and rolled it around the tube and left it like that until cooled. The sponge never dried out and was still flexible enough to roll around the ice cream without cracking.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together until they're light and fluffy
- Fold in the flour
- Spread onto a lined baking sheet - I used a 12" x 9" one and didn't fill it, if you want to make a larger roll just increase the quantities & use a larger baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 180 degree (C) oven for 7 minutes
- Add the strawberries, sugar & water to a pan
- Bring to the boil and simmer until thickened, around 30 minutes
- Allow to cool
- spread the jam over the sponge, unwrap the ice cream and roll the sponge around the ice cream, trimming any excess.
- Wrap in baking paper and place back in the freezer.
* I used 2 packs of Angel Delight Ice Cream for this but as there was some left over I added a few crushed up Oreo's to it to make dessert for another day.