The weather at the moment is so cold and our summer holiday seems so far away, so I can only dream of the two weeks we'll spend soaking up the Spanish sunshine and Mediterranean diet in August.
Olive Oils from Spain are so passionate about this Spanish lifestyle that they've taken 'The Good Life Embassy' on a world tour to share their 'Taste Our Lifestyle' campaign with countries across the globe, including USA, Mexico, Brazil & Australia.
We're not letting the cold and snow stop us from enjoying the delights of the Mediterranean though, and so I've made a no knead loaf enriched with Olive Oils from Spain to dunk in our winter soup.
This is a simple, no knead recipe that barely takes any effort to make, although the lengthy proving time means that you will have to leave it overnight, so remember to start it the day before you want to eat it. As there's no kneading involved it results in the cheese and chilli laying just under the crust, so if you want a more even distribution you will just have to knead these ingredients in after the first prove.
Cheese & Roasted Chilli No Knead Bread
500g strong white bread flour
1 tsp dried yeast
2 tsp salt
280ml room temperature water
100ml olive oil + additional for roasting chillies
100g cheddar cheese, grated
- Stir together the flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl
- Add the water and 100ml of olive oil and mix well until everything is well combined
- Cover the bowl with clingfilm and leave at room temperature for around 12-18 hours
- In the meantime place the chillies in an ovenproof dish (I used a garlic roaster) and drizzle with a little olive oil
- Cover and roast in a preheated 200C oven for 30 minutes
- Leave chillies to cool and then slit them down the middle with a knife and scrape the seeds and stalk out
- Once proved, tip the dough out onto a floured surface and flatten down
- Chop the chillies and scatter them over the dough, and top with half the cheese
- Fold the outsides of the dough in and squeeze together in the centre
- Form into a ball and cover with flour
- Turn over and place into a cast iron pot and scatter with a little more flour
- Place the lid on and leave to prove for around 3 hours
- Bake in a preheated 200C oven for 1 hour, removing the lid & scattering with the remaining cheese for the final 20 minutes
- Once baked, turn out onto a wire rack to cool
If you're in search of a little taste of the Mediterranean this winter then head over the Taste Our Lifestyle blog, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest for recipes, chat and inspiration.
This recipe has been commissioned by Olive Oils from Spain