The weather has turned and it feels almost wintery out there so we have turned to soups to warm us up and fill our bellies ready for the onset of the colder weather. Last week I was given more giant yellow courgettes from one of my allotment friends. I've already made lemon & courgette cake and orange & cinnamon courgette cake and after Hanna's birthday we are feeling a little caked out so I decided on a healthier option to use up some more of the yellow beasts.
I had a perfect taste tester for the soup as Hanna was off school ill with headaches and sore throat so after she woke from a morning nap I asked her if she would like to try some. When she asked what flavour I hesitantly told her it was courgette as I know she's not keen on them. After her requesting tomato soup and me breaking the news that we hadn't any she agreed to try some....and finished off the bowl!
Roasted Yellow Courgette Soup
2 very big yellow courgettes, enormous in fact..think marrow!
1 bulb of garlic
fresh or dried herbs
salt & pepper
1 pint of vegetable stock
- Chop the courgettes & onions into large pieces
- Slice the garlic bulb in half
- Place the courgettes, onion & garlic in a large roasting tin & add a big glug of olive oil, herbs & salt & pepper
- Roast in a 180C oven for around 1 hour until softened
- Squeeze the garlic from the skin & discard the skin
- Tip everything including the juices into a large saucepan & blend with a stick blender
- Add the stock & season as required