Then I saw the photos and it did look good so I decided to give it a go. I was going to make a pizza base that I've used before, using yeast, but I didn't have enough time as the dough takes 1.5 hours in the breadmaker so I went with the quick pizza base recipe that Jenny used, and doubled it as I knew it wouldn't be enough to go around this hungry family.
I did put my own little spin on Jenny's pizza and instead of using tomato ketchup on the base I used baked beans. I also made an additional pizza with peppers, onion and hot chillies on, and served with homemade chunky coleslaw and healthy oven baked chips.
For the base you will need :
1 cup of self raising flour
1/2 cup of milk
1 tbsp oil
For the topping you will need :
Can of baked beans
Cooked fish fingers
Spicy Pizza topping
sliced red onion
sliced chillies (I used pickled red chillies)
Sliced Roasted Red peppers
dried mixed herbs
- Mix the flour, milk & oil in a bowl until it comes together to form a dough - I added more flour as I suspect I was a bit heavy handed with the milk.
- Roll out on a floured surface until the size of your baking sheet/pizza stone
- Spread the beans over the base, add the cut up fish fingers and cover with grated cheese
- Bake in a 180 degree (C) oven for 10-15 minutes
For the spicy pizza
- Spread the tomato ketchup over the base, cover with grated cheese, chillies, onion & peppers
- Sprinkle with mixed herbs & bake in a 180 degree (C) oven for 10-15 minutes
To make the chips I sliced the potatoes (skins on), rinsed them in cold water & spread them out in a large roasting pan pre-heated with 2 tbsp of oil - I usually use olive oil but this time I used Flora Cuisine. Toss them in the oil and shake some malt vinegar over the top. Roast them in a hot oven for around 35-45 minutes, turning occasionally and giving them an extra sprinkle of vinegar - this gives them a real 'chip shop' like taste.
I baked the pizzas in my Mermaid Companion Trio pans - perfect when you want to make small pizzas with different toppings as all 3 trays are designed to fit on a standard oven shelf