- Mix the flour with the parmesan and paprika
- Rub the lard and butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs (I used my Kitchen Aid for this part)
- At this point you should need to add 2-4 tbsp of cold water - I didn't need to as my dough had already started to come together - I suspect because the Trex is not as hard as lard. Add the water until the dough starts to come together
- Roll the pastry out on a floured surface to approx 1cm thick
- Brush the marmite/water over the pastry and then fold over and roll again
- Slice fingers from the pastry
- Brush with beaten egg
- Bake in a 180 degree oven for approx 15-20 minutes until lightly browned
- Cool on a wire rack
Jack did really well at slicing his cheese straws....and then squashed them into balls whilst I sliced up the rest. He had great fun rolling and squashing and then left his cheese balls ready to be baked.
He developed a great slicing technique too.