With Summer almost upon us *stares out of window at the rain*, it's time to be thinking about picnics and outdoor eating. I have been challenged again to come up with a recipe using eggs for the latest #shortcuteggsperts challenge, this time for something speedy that can be taken on a picnic, cooked on a barbecue, or just eaten out in the garden.
Since eating the paleo way I have struggled to find portable meals. If we have a picnic I tend to take a salad in a box, until I figured that a thin omelette could be used in a similar way as a wrap.
These omelette wraps can be used to hold salad, but here I have used them to make fajitas, which can be eaten hot or cold.
Omelette Fajitas - serves 1
2 Eggs, beaten
1 chicken breast, sliced
1/3 Green pepper, sliced
1/3 Red Pepper, sliced
half a red onion, sliced
fresh chilli slices (to taste)*
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
half an Avocado, sliced
- Heat a non stick pan and add the beaten egg
- Fry over a medium heat until almost set on top, then flip over briefly to cook the other side
- Set the omelette aside whilst the rest is cooked
- Heat a little olive oil and add the chicken
- Fry until browned and cooked through
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside
- Add a little more oil to the pan and add the peppers, chilli and paprika
- Fry until softened, and then add the chicken back into the pan
- Lay the chicken and vegetables across the middle of the omelette
- Place the avocado slices on top, and then roll up
- Serve with chilli sauce and/or sour cream