We get through a lot of eggs in this house, whether they're baked into cakes, scrambled on top of toast, cooked into an omelette or just plain boiled. Since getting an induction hob we've found a new love for soft boiled eggs, as it's easier to keep the pan on a rolling boil than it was with our old gas hob.
I'm particularly enjoying a soft boiled egg smashed on top of a crumpet for breakfast or on top of a salad for lunch. The beauty of having a soft boiled egg on a salad is that the egg forms part of the dressing - a bit like a healthy mayo.
This seasonal vegetable and egg salad can be eaten warm or cold, but I chose to eat this one cold, smothered with a zesty lemon dressing and runny egg yolk. You don't need to use exactly the sam ingredients as I've used - use whatever you fancy, have in the fridge or is in season.
Soft Boiled Egg & Seasonal Vegetable Salad - serves 2
1 or 2 room temperature eggs
bunch of asparagus
handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 red onion, sliced
1/2 red pepper, sliced
few slices of cucumber
juice of half a lemon
tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
sea salt & pepper to taste
- Bring a small pan of water to the boil, add the eggs & simmer for 4.5 minutes
- Remove the eggs & place into a pan of cold water until you need them
- Bring another pan of water to the boil and add the asparagus & broccoli for a minute or 2 (depending on how crunchy you like it)
- Remove and place into a pan of cold water, and then drain
- Add the asparagus, broccoli, tomatoes, onion & pepper to a large bowl
- Mix together the lemon, oil & mustard
- Drizzle over the dressing & toss to coat the vegetables
- Divide the salad into two bowls/plates
- Peel & slice the eggs & add to the top of the salad
- Season with sea salt & freshly ground black pepper & serve
This recipe has been created for a #shortcuteggsperts challenge. I have been provided with shopping vouchers to cover the cost of my ingredients. More egg recipes can be found here.