With Valentine's Day just a week away I've used it as an excuse to pretty up some chocolate shortbread. Of course you could just eat these without dipping them in chocolate but pretty food always tastes much better in my opinion.
Chocolate Chip Shortbread
120g butter, softened
120g caster sugar
165g plain flour
15g cocoa powder
50g chocolate chips
- Beat the butter and sugar together until creamy
- Stir in the flour and cocoa powder and mix well
- Stir in the chocolate chips
- Roll out on a floured surface to approx 5-6mm thick
- Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter & place on a lined baking sheet, spaced apart
- Bake in a preheated 180C oven for approximately 12 minutes
- Allow to cool on a wire rack before decorating
I chose to decorate them with white chocolate and sprinkles by dipping one side of the shortbread into melted white chocolate.
I was recently sent some heart shaped cookie cutters by Lakeland which were perfect for these cookies. The set of 5 cutters come in a handy storage tub and are nice and deep and robust enough to cut through chocolate chips.
They are priced at just £4.29 per set with a 3 for 2 offer on these and other colourful cookie cutter sets.