This year I have found THE best recipe, it is so easy to make and the dough is so easy to use - no sticking and very easy to roll out - and it tastes great too.
The recipe I found is from Fabulicious Food - Ren has lots of gorgeous recipes on there so if you haven't checked them out already make sure you do. Ren's cookies look amazing, her icing is so neat. I won't show you the iced ones that I made for the Christmas Fair as they are no match for hers!
I decided to use the recipe to make some mini gingerbread men to decorate my Gingerbread Cupcakes but as I made so many I thought it would be nice to wrap them up to sell on the cake stand at the School Christmas Fair alongside the larger iced ones.
Polish Spiced Christmas Cookies
110g unsalted butter
110g soft, dark brown sugar
6 heaped tablespoons runny honey
450g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
2 tablespoons mixed spice
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
100g icing sugar
- Melt the butter, sugar and honey in a small pan until the butter has just melted
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a large bowl, stir together
- Add the egg and mix well
- Add the melted butter/sugar to the dry ingredients and mix until a dough forms
- If the mixture is too dry add water 1 tablespoon at a time until it comes together
- Roll out on a floured surface to the thickness of a pound coin
- Use cutters to cut out the shapes and place on greased baking trays (I use silicone baking sheets)
- Bake in 200 degree (C) oven for 7-8 minutes
- Cool on a wire rack
I used tulip cupcake cases to hold 15 mini gingerbread men and then placed them into a Christmas cellophane bag.