At times during half term last week I felt as though I was running a cafe. Kids were in, kids were out, friends were in, friends were out, and there seemed to be a constant request for food. I thought that if I made a batch of flapjacks it would keep them off my back for a while, to enable me to get on with more important stuff, such as catching up with Neighbours on the planner.
Unfortunately they liked the flapjacks a little too much, and they were deemed 'the best flapjacks you've ever made', and lasted less than 24 hours, putting me back to square one.
200g caster sugar
200g golden syrup
200g blackcurrant conserve
- Add the butter, sugar and syrup to a pan
- Heat gently until everything has melted and the mixture starts to come to the boil around the edges
- Remove from the heat and stir in the oats
- Add half of the mixture to a lined and greased 13"x9" pan & press down
- Spread the jam evenly over
- Add the remaining oat mixture over the jam & smooth over
- Bake in a preheated 170C oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown
- Allow to cool fully in the tin before slicing into squares