It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas now that we're into December, although we haven't got our tree up yet as it still feels too early (or actually I can't be bothered with the task of building it just yet).
I made some mincemeat a few weeks ago, but other than making just one batch of mince pies and some mini mincemeat loaves the majority of it has been sitting in the cupboard waiting for my festive baking to kick into gear.
I decided to make a batch of mincemeat pancakes for an after school snack, and topped them with a drizzle of homemade salted caramel sauce (recipe here). I'm currently on my pre Christmas diet so only tasted a small spoonful of pancake and sauce but I could have quite easily eaten the whole lot, cleared the bowls away and the kids would've been none the wiser when they walked in and found me in a sugar daze. I was very disciplined though and saved the rest for the husband and kids, but I think I'll be making these again on Christmas morning when I no longer have to worry about my diet!
Mincemeat Pancakes - makes approx 6
125ml semi skimmed milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 egg75g mincemeat (shop bought or use my recipe here or here)
100g self raising flour
oil for frying
- Mix the milk & lemon juice together
- Whisk in the egg & then stir in the mincemeat
- Add the flour and stir until just combined
- Heat a little oil in a pan and spoon a tablespoonful of batter into the pan (make 2 or 3 at a time if you have room)
- Allow to cook until it begins to puff up & is golden brown
- Flip over and cook for a few minutes on the other side