Anyone that is a lover of cakes, pastries, bread and other baked goods would probably know that The Great British Bake Off is back on our screens tomorrow night (Tuesday). As a bit of fun, myself and my lovely cake twin Jenny at Mummy Mishaps are hosting a Great Bloggers Bake Off (all credit to Jenny as it was her genius idea) throughout the series.
The plan is for anyone that wants to join in to blog a recipe that fits in with the challenges set in that week's show. A linky will be opened up on a Wednesday for you to enter your post before it closes on Sunday evening. Each week we will post a round up of all the valid entries and choose a winner who will get to wear a prestigious badge on their blog, whoop whoop!
Word on the street is that this week's bakes will include a sandwich sponge, Angel cake and chocolate so to celebrate the start of our Great Bloggers Bake Off I've made a Victoria Sponge.
175g Butter (I use Stork for baking)
175g Caster sugar
175g Self Raising flour
100g Butter, softened
200g Icing sugar
1 tbsp milk
Jam - I used my favourite Bonne Maman raspberry conserve
- Beat the butter and sugar until it's light & creamy
- Beat the eggs in one at a time
- Fold in the flour
- Divide the mixture between two 8" greased sandwich tins lined with a piece of baking paper at the bottom
- Bake in a preheated 180 C oven for 20 minutes, until the top is springy
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely
- In the meantime make the icing by beating the butter, milk and half the icing sugar together until pale and creamy
- Add the rest of the icing sugar and beat again - the advantage of using a stand mixer is that you can get the buttercream to be very pale and creamy without any effort
- Sandwich the 2 cakes together with the buttercream and jam - for a neater finish I like to pipe my buttercream on
Don't forget to go over and visit Jenny on Wednesday and get baking and link up - there may even be a prize at the end of the series!