Even though I've tried to cut down on my baking recently, as the temptation to eat is too great if there are home made cakes and cookies around, there is usually something freshly baked and sweet smelling coming out of the oven, I just can't help it.
I received a silicone 'I heart Cake' mould from find me a gift to review last week and the temptation to bake a cake was just too great. I opted for a chocolate cake as I had quite a lot of yoghurt in the fridge and this chocolate cake recipe is really moist due to the addition of the yoghurt. I would normally use Greek yoghurt but this time it was a fruity flavour which didn't matter due to the addition of the cherries - you could try altering the taste of the cake using different flavour yoghurts. It's a very simple cake with a very simple icing. You could leave the cherries out if you prefer, or substitute with other fruits.
Chocolate and Cherry Cake
175g Caster sugar
150g self raising flour
25g Cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
100g frozen Morello cherries
100g dark chocolate spread
a few thawed Morello cherries
- Beat the Stork with the sugar until light & fluffy
- Beat in the eggs one at a time
- Fold in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder
- Stir in the yoghurt and cherries until combined
- Pour the mixture into the greased baking tin
- Bake in a 180 C oven for approx 30-35 minutes until the top is springy
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes before turning out of the tin and cooling fully on a wire rack
- Beat the chocolate spread and yoghurt together until smooth
- Once the cake has cooled, spread the icing over and add a few cherries on top
The cake mould is designed so that it can be sliced into 6 heart shaped cakes. They are very large slices but no-one was complaining here. The cake turned out really well without sticking and I found the easiest way to do this was buy covering it with a plate and turning it out onto that before turning the cake from the plate onto the cooling rack.
It would be great to use on Valentines day for cake, jelly, cheesecake or even ice cream.
The mould retails for £14.99 from find-me-a-gift.co.uk
I was sent the cake mould but the recipe is my own