The summer holidays are coming to a close, with just two weeks left here before the new term starts. A couple of weeks ago I shared a simple recipe for Sweet & Salty Marshmallow Squares, which is one of many recipes on this blog that's fun and easy to do with the kids. Cooking is a great way to keep the kids entertained for a few hours, especially during the school holidays when parents may run out of ways to keep the kids occupied.
Iceland have challenged me to take a look around one of their stores and choose some ingredients that can be put together to make a delicious dish, that's easy to prepare with the kids. If your kids are older they might even like to make this one on their own, leaving you to get on with some jobs (or put your feet up and wait for the finished dish!)
The bank holiday is coming up and these will make a delicious alternative to a regular ice cream, especially if it's a hot weekend!
I was delighted to find Millies Cookie dough amongst the frozen desserts in Iceland, and even more delighted to see that they can be popped into the oven without having to get my hands or any utensils dirty. It couldn't be easier to enjoy freshly baked cookies.
Another hack for making these ice cream sandwiches is in the preparation of the ice cream. A 500ml round tub of ice cream is the perfect diameter to fit into these cookies once they're baked, and can be sliced whilst still in the tub, which saves lots of mess, but it was a VERY hot day when I made these and, as you can see, they melted VERY quickly.
Chocolate Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches - makes 3
box of Millies Triple Choc cookie dough
500ml tub of Ice cream (I used Oreo)
- bake the cookies as per the directions on the box
- as soon as you take the cookies out of the oven flatten them with a fork
- leave to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely
- using a sharp knife cut three 1-2cm slices of ice cream in the cardboard container
- remove the cardboard from around the edge of the ice cream and sandwich between two cookies
- roll in sprinkles or sugar strands
- eat immediately or return to the freezer until ready to eat
Now the only thing left to decide is which flavour to choose next? Milk chocolate, white chocolate or triple chocolate?
This post has been commissioned by Iceland #PowerofFrozen