If you're trying to reduce your sugar consumption, but still like the odd sweet treat then these muffins could be right up your street. I prefer fruit muffins to cupcakes as they don't tend to be as sweet, and add some nuts into the mix then I'm completely sold. I suppose these are a cross between a muffin and a scone (although more moist than a scone), and could therefore be called a scuffin, or maybe a mone.
The kids weren't that keen, but I think that was down to the pieces of coconut rather than the lack of sugar, but that was fine as it meant more for me. Two of these and a coffee really set me up for the morning.
Tropical Fruit Breakfast Muffins - makes approx 12
200g self raising flour
100g dried fruit (I used Urban Fruit Tremendously Tropical)
50g caster sugar
100ml vegetable oil
- In a large bowl mix the flour, muesli, dried fruit & sugar together
- In a second bowl or jug whisk together the egg, oil and milk
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry & mix until just combined
- Spoon into muffin cases in a muffin tray, and bake in a preheated 180C oven for 18-20 minutes
- Turn out onto a wire rack & allow to cool
I received samples of Urban Fruit free of charge