The healthy eating has started and the fitness mission is well and truly underway. Extra vegetables are being consumed, and whilst the kids aren't particularly fussy about eating them, one of the best ways to make sure they get enough is in home made soup. Two of the most popular flavours I make are a butternut squash and a curried parsnip soup, but this time I tried another flavour, which is always a risk, not knowing if the kids will enjoy it.
Soup is usually a very thrifty meal, and a potato soup is possibly one of the thriftiest. Throw these together with a couple of leeks and you have enough soup for a family for less than £2. According to the 'Real-time Food Consumption in the UK' infographic produced by Quandoo, since you started reading this blog post over 4000 kg of potatoes have been consumed in the UK. Obviously I didn't use quite that many in this recipe, although if I did I'm sure it wouldn't have taken very long for my lot to eat it all!
Creamy Leek & Potato Soup
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
250g leeks, sliced
6-8 medium potatoes, peeled & diced
1 litre vegetable stock
150ml reduced fat creme fraiche
salt & pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan
- Add the onion, garlic & leeks & fry for 2 minutes
- Add the potatoes & stock & bring to the boil
- Place a lid on & simmer until everything is softened (or add to a slow cooker and cook on medium/high for 3-4 hours)
- Stir in the creme fraiche
- Either blend with a hand blender, or mash with a potato masher if you like a bit more texture to your soup, adding additional stock if you want a thinner soup
- Season with salt & pepper to taste
Thankfully everyone loved this soup so it's another one to add to our regular soup list. I like to add a swirl of hot pepper sauce to mine...
I found these beautiful duck egg bowls & plates in Tesco at the weekend and couldn't resist buying them.
Why not go back to the infographic and see how many potatoes have been consumed since you last checked...
This post has been commissioned by Quandoo