I remember watching an episode of the Naked Chef once where Jamie Oliver made a picnic to have on Southend Pier that consisted of roast chicken, flatbreads and cous cous, which he wrapped up in tinfoil reinforced with a cardboard base and they ate off paper plates with plastic cutlery. Once everything was eaten they disposed of their foil & utensils and didn't have anything left to carry, such a genius idea.
This recipe has a similar concept - an all in one picnic meal that doesn't really need anything else to go with it. A big slice of this is a meal in itself, bread, cheese and veggies all in one bite. You could add salami or ham as well but I chose to make a meat free one this time. You can use any size loaf you like and adjust the ingredients accordingly - I used a 800g (approx) homemade Bloomer for this one.
Cheese & Roasted Vegetable Picnic Loaf
1 large Bloomer
1 200g block of Apetina (Greek cheese)
1 red onion, sliced
2 tomatoes, sliced
2 x 125g Mozzarella balls
Fresh basil leaves
1 jar of roasted red peppers
Colman's Garlic & Chilli Sauce
Colman's Sweet Chilli & Mango Sauce
Hellmann's Chilli mayonnaise
- Slice the Aubergine lengthways and brush sides with olive oil
- Slice the mushrooms and brush with a little olive oil
- Cook the aubergine & mushrooms on a griddle pan in batches until softened & set aside
- Slice the top off the bloomer and scoop out the inside leaving approx 2cm around the edge
- Spread the inside of the loaf with Garlic & Chilli sauce
- Layer up the loaf with the ingredients (I layered mine as shown below, with a squirt of chilli and mango sauce on top of the Greek cheese and a few scatterings of basil & a twist of black pepper here & there)
- Once the loaf has been filled spread some chilli mayonnaise over the cut side of the lid and place on top
- Wrap tightly in clingfilm and place in the fridge with a weight on top (I used bottles of milk)
- Leave overnight
Very enjoyable with a big squeeze of Hellmann's Chilli Mayonnaise....