When I saw that Working London Mummy's new One Ingredient Challenge was carrots for the month of November I just knew that I had to make soup.
Butternut Squash & Carrot Soup
2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 cloves of garlic
1kg Butternut squash - peeled, deseeded & chopped
500g Carrots - peeled & chopped
tsp dried Rosemary2 vegetable stock cubes
1 Litre boiling water
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion & garlic for 5 mins.
- Add the Butternut squash, carrots, Rosemary, stock cubes & boiling water.
- Bring to the boil & simmer for approx 20 mins - until the carrots are tender (they take longer than the squash)
- Blend until smooth with a stick blender and add the milk & stir.
- Add more water if desired.
I served it with Wholemeal Carrot & Rosemary Bread (made in breadmaker)
30ml Olive Oil
2 tsp clear honey
2 tbsp milk
200g carrots - peeled & grated250g Wholemeal Bread Flour
250g White Bread Flour
2 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp salt
1tsp dried yeast
- Put the water, oil, honey & milk into the breadmaker.
- Sprinkle over the carrot.
- Sprinkle over the flour and rosemary (covering all the liquid)
- Add the salt to one corner and the yeast to a well in the middle of the flour.
- Start the breadmaker
I also added some grated cheese to the top just before the end of baking.
The bread recipe is an adapted version of one in Bread & Bread Machines - an excellent book if you have a bread maker.