I've always fancied making peanut brittle, but as I didn't own a candy thermometer until recently, I didn't want to risk making it without. I loved the sweet & salty combination of this pretzel crust, so I wanted to try adding pretzels to the brittle, and combined it with one of my favourite nuts, pecans.
Salted Pecan & Pretzel Brittle
250g caster sugar
tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt
40g salted pretzels, roughly broken
sprinkle of sea salt
- add the caster sugar, vanilla & salt to a wide based saucepan or deep sided frying pan
- scatter the pretzels & pecans onto a 8" square silicone baking sheet
- heat gently until the sugar melts - be patient & don't stir it!
- increase the heat and simmer until it reaches 260F (hard ball) on a candy thermometer
- pour the caramel over the pretzels & pecans & sprinkle with a little sea salt
- set aside to cool & firm up
- break into shards
Why not bag a few of these up and give them away as gifts this Christmas, or pop a few in a festive tin or box.