I came across a post for Royal Wedding cupcakes on Made with Pink and they had some cute little flags on their cupcakes. I had seen some like this on Ebay but what I liked about these flags is that I could make them myself, for free. All I needed to do was to print the template out in colour and with a bit of gluing & sticking to a cocktail stick, hey presto I have flags. Ok they may not be great, which probably has something to do with the lack of a Pritt stick in the house and so I had to use some watery glue that made the colours of the flag bleed a bit, but beggars & choosers and all that......
I made up a batch of lemon cupcakes (baked in Union Jack cases purchased from Ebay) and iced them with vanilla buttercream and decorated with some red, white (not that you can see it) and blue edible glitter (also purchased from Ebay) and popped a flag in each.
So what are you waiting for, the Royal Wedding is only hours away so you'd better get baking........for the sake of your kids.
110g unsalted butter
225g caster sugar
2 large eggs
150g SR flour
125g plain flour
60ml semi-skimmed milk
juice of 1 medium lemon
1 tbsp Greek Yoghurt
- Cream the butter & sugar together
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition
- Combine the two flours in a separate bowl. Combine the milk, lemon juice & yoghurt in another bowl.
- Add half of the flour to the butter/sugar mixture & beat well. Add half of the milk mixture & beat well.
- Repeat with the 2nd half of flour and then milk mixture.
- Fill the cupcake cases approx 1/3 full
- Bake at 160 degrees for around 20 minutes
- Cool on a wire rack before decorating
110g unsalted butter, at room temperature
60ml semi-skimmed milk, at room temperature
1tsp vanilla extract
500g icing sugar, sifted
- Beat the butter, milk, vanilla & half the icing sugar together until light & fluffy.
- Beat in the remainder of the icing sugar.
Thanks to my old friend @shazpaz I have now made some Wills n Kate cake picks to adorn my mini cupcakes