Thursday 24 March 2011
Chocolate Fudge Cake
This cake has got to be the best and one of the easiest chocolate cakes I have ever made. The sponge is moist and chocolatey and the frosting is rich & gooey, perfect with a cuppa or warmed up with ice cream.
The recipe is a slightly adapted version of the one in The Children's Baking Book by Dorling Kindersley.
For the cake:
175g dark muscovado sugar
150g self raising flour
25g cocoa powder
1tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
3 medium eggs
100ml greek yoghurt
For the icing:
175g dark chocolate (approx 70% cocoa solids)
200g icing sugar
To decorate :
Maltesers & M&M's (or any sweets/chocolate/sprinkles of your choice)
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C / 325 F / gas mark 3. Grease and line the bases of 2 8" sandwich tins with baking paper.
2. Beat the butter & sugar until they are light & creamy
3. Sift over the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
4. Add the eggs & the yoghurt and beat well.
5. Divide the mixture between the 2 tins and bake for 25-30 minutes. Leave to cool slightly before turning out onto a wire rack.
6. To make the icing, melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over simmering water, or on short bursts in the microwave. Add the milk & stir to combine.
7. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and pour over the melted chocolate. Beat together until smooth and formimg into soft peaks.
8. Use some of the icing to sandwich the 2 cakes together & spread the rest over the top & sides. Decorate with your chosen toppings.