This cake recipe is a nice quick and easy one that you can do with or without your toddler. It's sometimes easier to make the cakes yourself and let them do do the decorating, whatever you do the little ones enjoy joining in but if they're anything like Jack they haven't got much patience - he soon got bored with mixing & wanted to get the sprinkles out....
4oz Butter or Margarine - softened
4oz Caster Sugar
2 Eggs - beaten
4oz Self Raising Flour - sifted
1tsp Vanilla Extract
Its always best to have your ingredients at room temperature before you start.
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C / 350 F
Line a 12 hole cake pan with cases or 24 hole mini muffin pan. We also used my new Cupcake Maker which I haven't yet used.
1. Cream the butter and sugar together.
|Jacks love of mixing was short-lived|
2. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract.
3. Stir in the flour.
4. Spoon into the cupcake / muffin cases & fill about 2/3 full.
5. Bake in the oven for 8-12 minutes for mini cupcakes or 15-20 minutes for standard size. In the Cupcake Maker they were cooked after 9 minutes.
|My new cupcake maker|
6. Remove from pan & allow to cool
7. When the cakes have cooled down melt the chocolate in the microwave in short bursts and stir well.
8. Stir in some double cream, enough to thin the chocolate down slightly and make it smooth and glossy.
9. Spoon chocolate onto the cakes & decorate with sprinkles.
|Gone before I had chance to get my camera out!|
|And this is what happened when (after eating 3 cakes) Jack was told he could have no more!!|