On fast days I still generally eat 2 very small meals and then a larger dinner, mostly made up of lots of veggies and the odd marmite on crackerbread thrown in. I fancied a bit of a change for lunch on one of the days last week and decided to make a quick soup. It was full of flavour and after my 10 year old daughter tried some she asked for me to make double next time so that she can have a bowlful too. She was so surprised when she saw the finished soup and exclaimed "it looks like real tomato and basil soup".
1 clove of garlic - 4 cals
1 small red onion (64g) - 25 cals
400g can of chopped Tomatoes - 68 cals
handful of Fresh basil (15g) - 4 cals
salt & pepper to taste
total : 101 cals
- Heat a small amount of water in a pan and sweat the garlic and onion off for 2 minutes
- Add the can of tomatoes and bring to the boil
- Tear the basil up and add to the pan & remove from the heat
- Blend until smooth with a stick blender
- Add salt & pepper to taste and serve
If you want to add a few more calories to the meal you could add some croutons or cooked pasta, or serve with a slice of bread.