Why bake with Fairtrade you may ask?
Baking with Fairtrade ingredients is an easy way for everyone to make a difference to millions of people who desperately need a better deal from trade. Without a fair price for the crops they grow many farmers struggle to support their families. Fairtrade offers farmers and workers the safety net of a fair price today and a little extra to invest in projects which benefit the whole community, such as clean water, education and health care.
You can join in with the Fairtrade 'Take a Step' campaign by registering your step, which can be anything from switching your regular teabags to Fairtrade or holding an event - you can find out more here.
I've being doing my bit by buying Fairtrade ingredients to make a family dessert that will probably last most of the week!
200g Digestive biscuits
20g Cadbury Fairtrade Bournville Cocoa
70g Butter, melted
397g Can of Condensed Milk
100g Billingtons Fairtrade Light Brown Sugar
150g Tesco Finest Fairtrade Organic Peruvian 70% Chocolate
2 Fairtrade Bananas
300ml Double Cream
Chocolate shavings or cocoa powder
- Crush the biscuits finely and stir in the cocoa powder
- Add the melted butter and mix together until combined
- Press the mixture into the base and halfway up the sides of a loose bottomed flan tin
- Refrigerate for an hour
- Gently bring the condensed milk, sugar and butter to the boil in a pan, stirring all the time with a balloon whisk
- Remove from the heat and add the chocolate and stir until melted
- Pour over the base and spread evenly
- Refrigerate until cool
- Slice the bananas thinly and lay evenly over the chocolate layer
- Whip the cream and spread over the bananas and decorate with chocolate shavings or dust with cocoa powder